Connecticut Craft Show

There was an Artisan Marketplace during Homecoming Weekend at the University of Hartford in Connecticut.  I drove up from Philly in pouring rain and fog, but the next day was beautiful.  We were set up outside one of the University's newer buildings.
I sold many items, and had even more compliments on my work.  It is so nice, since I design and craft in my solitary workshop.  I thought I would post some of the more interesting comments here.

A little boy to his mother:  "Mom, this looks just like King Kong!".  My new advertising slogan -- "Wear this on your next night on the town in the Big Apple -- while you shinny up the side of the Empire State Building."




Woman to her daughter, loudly:  "If you wear these and shake your head, they will slice your neck to ribbons!"   Hmm.  There have been no reports of fatalities from customers.  Apparently, these earrings may resemble a Ginsu knife?  New advertising slogan:  "It slices, it dices, and also accessorizes your ensemble!"  (n.b. there are no sharp edges on these).



This necklace was my most expensive one showing that day and it received many looks and favorable comments.   But one woman looked quizzical and wanted to point out perhaps an error on my part.  I'm not quite sure how to describe her demeanor.  She said "What is that?"  My answer, "It is agate."  Her feathers became even more ruffled and exclaimed "It doesn't come naturally like that!"  My reply, "That is correct.  It is dyed and fired.  I often use dyed gemstones, pearls, and shells in my work.  I believe it often enhances the appearance."  Dyeing adds color and firing enhances the color.  Stones from the earth are also polished and drilled.  They also don't dig them up already on a wire with a clasp.  Frankly, I need a bit of dyeing and enhancing myself to look presentable! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

KIRA Earrings

  I made these earrings from the Kira Earrings pattern on BeadsMagic.com .  It was an easy to follow pattern, so I only messed up a few ti...