Jewelry designs, garden photos, and anything else that comes to my mind!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Garnet Red Barrettes

I purchased some barrette backings a while back, and then couldn't decide what to do with them.  I tried gluing ribbon, which failed.  I tried gluing glitter, oh that didn't look right.  I thought large flatbacks or buttons might look strange.  Then I made a section of bead weave, which, after many different attempts, came out just right.  So it reminds me of the story of Goldilocks, who kept trying things and saying "this one's too hot, this one's too cold" until she came across the right combination. 
If you are a beadweaver, you will see that I used the right angle weave.  I originally tried Miyuki 6's, and they just flippity flopped.  When I used these 6mm druks, it all seemed to work out nicely. 

I plan to try out some other beads, like glass pearls, fire polished rounds, or maybe some 4mm druks.  Then I might venture out into a peyote stitch with the smaller seed beads to see how that works.  But don't hold your breath on me fiddling with a complicated stitch pattern and the tinier seed beads!  Oh no!  To paraphrase Dr. McCoy from StarTrek, "Jim, I'm a beader not a weaver!"

No comments:

Post a Comment