Red and Green Agate Beads

These are large puffed coins of polished agate in colors of red, green and brown.  Each bead is over 1-3/4" in diameter, which is a significant size and therefore weight.  These were acquired at one of the regional shows of Rings and ThingsRings and Things has an Internet store and also travels nationally to do local bead shows.  They have a large selection of jewelry supplies and excellent customer service, so I do recommend this store.

Normally, I prefer glass over gemstone, and lightweight over heavy, but these really piqued my interest.  I first decided to use them in a necklace only, as I believe they were too heavy for earrings and too awkward to put in a bracelet.  Then I had to determine how many beads in a necklace.  I thought about one center focal bead, or possibly two beads each up by the collarbone area, but settled on three beads in the center.  The necklace needed to be short enough for the large beads to lie flat, so I chose 22".  Anything longer and the beads would dangle in such a way that wouldn't display their great color and natural design. 


It didn't take me long to decide the beads would go on wire rather than beading wire.  I didn't want to have any qualms about wondering if the beading wire would break after a customer gets it home.  I used sterling silver wire for the beads, and then strung five strands of seed beads on each side, using medium beading wire.  That gives it enough strength to hold up the three beads.  Then I finished it with a sterling silver hook clasp.

2 comments:

  1. You've used these agate beads perfectly. I really enjoy your way of physically and visually strengthening the necklace's design!

    --Dave
    at Rings & Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave. Making jewelry seems to be a combination of design, fashion, and engineering!

    ReplyDelete

KIRA Earrings

  I made these earrings from the Kira Earrings pattern on BeadsMagic.com .  It was an easy to follow pattern, so I only messed up a few ti...